Here are the detail pictures of the first of the previously previewed Bugbears!
While this is a bit of an excuse, these are not painted to my “highest” standard, just my “quickie” standard. They’re baddies, and not likely to be on the table for more than a battle at a time, and I like to mix up the creatures for my groups so they’re not always fighting the same things all the time.
So I painted both of the Bugbears in a single evening, in a single sitting, with no prep, no forethought, and not with the keenest of eyes for mistakes or details.
Maybe that makes me lazy, but really for the bad guys I’m kinda going for quickness & volume not “centerpiece display” paintjobs. I want it to look good, obviously, but I’m not doing the whole “7-layers of every-so-slightly-different-shades” treatment.
They’re likely to see some abuse; getting knocked over when defeated, being slammed down onto the table as a surprise, etc, etc. I definitely need to seal these guys. But that’s all to say, I’m not sad about doing a quickie paint job, and actually pretty happy with how they came out considering the amount of time (or lack of time) I spent painting them.
All that to say — Yes, it’s a crappy paint job for my normal standards, but no I don’t care that it’s not my best work. I still learned some stuff, I got to practice some drybrushing with all the fur on them, and it’s nice to be able to start the evening with a plain model and end the evening with a “finished” one!